St. Vincent School
1720 E. Wallen Road
Fort Wayne, IN 46825
Here's some miscellaneous fun and interesting trivia about your general health and body that you may not have known.
Test Your Knowledge and Share What You Learn!
- Dentists have recommended that a toothbrush be kept at least 6 feet away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush.
- You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.
- Most dust particles in your house are made from dead skin.
- All US Presidents have worn glasses. Some just didn't like being seen wearing them in public.
- The average human body has 14 to 18 square feet of skin.
- The skin of the armpits can harbor up to 516,000 bacteria per square inch, while drier areas, such as the forearm, have only about 13,000 bacteria per square inch.
- A bird's eye takes up about 50 percent of its head; our eyes take up about 5 percent of our head. To be comparable to a bird's eyes, the eyes of a human being would have to be the size of baseballs.
- A boy’s voice breaks during puberty because his vocal cords are lengthening. Up until that point, girl’s and boy’s vocal cords are the same length.
- The strongest bone in the body, the thigh bone, is hollow. Ounce for ounce, it has a greater pressure tolerance and bearing strength than a rod of equivalent size in cast steel.
- Most people lose half of their taste buds by sixty years of age.
- The average human body holds enough: sulfur to kill all the fleas on an average dog, potassium to fire a toy cannon, carbon to make 900 pencils, fat to make 7 bars of soap, 10 gallons of water, and phosphorous to make 2,200 match heads.
- The temporal lobe is the area of the brain that allows humans to hear and understand people speaking.
- The average human eyelash lives about 150 days.
- The average human has about 10,000 taste buds — however, they're not all on the tongue. Some are under the tongue; some are on the inside of the cheeks; some are on the roof of the mouth. Some can even be found on the lips — these are especially sensitive to salt.
- The thumbnail grows the slowest; the middle nail grows the fastest.
- The average human scalp contains between 120,000 and 150,000 hairs.
- It takes about 20 seconds for a red blood cell to circle the whole body.
- Like a finger print, every person has a unique tongue print.
- The air released from a sneeze can exceed the speed of 100 mph.
- The longest word is English language is pneumonoultramiscroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis - an inflammatory lung disease caused by the inhalation of fine silica dust.